Workday and Wrought Iron Guided tour / onsite learning about Bennerley Viaduct.
There will be a training element to this workday which will take place in the morning. We are fortunate to have Dave Gent with us for the morning. Dave Gent is a Civil Engineer who is a specialist in old wrought iron bridges and viaducts.
The morning will consist of a guided tour around the viaduct both on the deck and underneath where we can all learn more about the engineering, design and materials used of our brilliant viaduct. I am sure there will be lots of questions and lots for us all to learn. Dave will kindly be producing a handout so it would be helpful for David to know how many people intend to come.
After the tour, we will be completing work on the last two / three pier bases. People are welcome to attend any part of the day that they wish but it would be useful for me to know how many will be attending the tour and how many will be staying on for the work party.
· 10a.m. meet in the car park of the Bridge Inn, Cotmanhay http://www.bridgeinncotmanhay.co.uk . The postcode is DE7 8RD.
· If arriving after 10:15 please meet us where we will be working UNDERNEATH the Viaduct. Directions as follows:
Ø from the pub cross the bridge over the canal and walk south along the towpath for approximately 200m.Turn east on the public footpath through the woodland (I’ll put a Sustrans flag here so you know where to turn). After 60m you will reach a footbridge crossing the railway, cross this and follow the footpath for approx. another 100m to reach the underneath of the viaduct.
What you need to bring:
· Sturdy footwear
· Appropriate clothing for the forecasted weather
· Appropriate clothing for carrying out scrub management work
· Packed lunch and drink
· A Hi Vis vest if you have one (can be supplied if required)
· Emergency contact information (you will be asked to supply this on the day)