The Friends of Bennerley ViaductContents
The Friends of Bennerley Viaduct (The FoBV) are the charity dedicated to restoring, conserving and celebrating Bennerley Viaduct. We have achieved Our Project goal of reopening Bennerley Viaduct to the public after 54 years of closure. You can support our work by becoming a Member of the Friends of Bennerley Viaduct, by donating or volunteering.
Subscribe to our email bulletin to be kept up to date with our latest news.
The Friends of Bennerley Viaduct are dedicated to giving our Iron Giant a new lease of life. Working in partnership with Railway Paths Limited, the inspiring community-driven project has brought the iconic structure back to life. Bennerley Viaduct has now re-opened to the public following fifty years of closure and a £1.4 million investment.
What we do
The Friends have made an immense contribution so far by promoting the project; mounting exhibitions; organising events; engaging in volunteer workdays; raising funds; presenting illustrated talks; leading guided walks; producing interpretation materials, writing reports and securing political support for the project and developing an effective working partnership with the owners. We need your skills to help us with this work. Find out more about how to support us
The Friends Group has a clear and ambitious vision for the future of the viaduct which is to create an inspirational green space with Bennerley Viaduct as its centrepiece. (See Vision Document) . To make this vision a reality the FoBV has become an Associative Charitable Incorporated Organisation to give appropriate structure and governance to deliver an ambitious future with Bennerley Viaduct.
How we work
The Friends of Bennerley Viaduct are committed to working in an open and transparent way with our local community, landowners, MPs, elected representatives, council officers, businesses and other societies and organisations. We are a democratic organisation where all members have a say in the future of the viaduct.
- Integrity – We are open, honest, accountable and transparent in all our dealings with people and organisations.
- Empowerment – The community has a say in decisions through our membership scheme.
- Inclusiveness – People of all backgrounds and abilities take part in our activities and benefit from the project.
- Excellence – We maintain high standards and strive for excellence in the performance of all our activities.
Meet Our TeamContents
- John Scruton
- Glynn Lowth
- Nick Tooley
- Melvin Bailey
- Elizabeth Woledge
- James Dawson
- Bill Tomson
- Ronald Yee
- Kate Crossley, Manager
- Ric Raithby, Ranger
- Kieran Lee, Community Engagement Lead
Becoming a Member of the Friends of Bennerley ViaductContents
One of the ways to support Bennerley Viaduct and our work is by becoming a Member of the Friends of Bennerley Viaduct. Ongoing support from our Members provides us with essential funds that enable us to preserve access to the viaduct, nurture habitats around it, and provide activities and education to our community. Our diverse members are our best advocates, giving FoBV a strong voice and a wide network. They are vital in helping our small charity secure further influence and funds.
Our Members bring a wide range of skills and experience. We work together, as a grassroots democratic group, to pool our experience to improve the viaduct, its habitats and communities. You are welcome to become a Member without being active in the group, but if you would like to additionally volunteer your skills – whether they are grass cutting, admin, social media, or anything else – please get in touch.
Benefits of becoming a Member of the Friends of Bennerley Viaduct
- You will be joining a democratic organisation devoted to conserving and celebrating a structure of national and international importance.
- You will have the opportunity to influence and shape our priorities and policies.
- You will receive special Members Only e-newsletters about our activities, events, meetings, walks, and exhibitions.
- 10% off our merchandise
- First look tickets to our events and activities
- Free access to our online talks programme
- Be part of a dynamic, forward-looking, community-based organisation conserving history for future generations, and making an impact on the future of our community.